WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
Trustee terms are six years
Deadline: Monday 24 August 2020 at 9am
Trustee terms are six years
Deadline: Monday 24 August 2020 at 9am
A letter from our Chair
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Trustee of ShareAction.
Founded in 2005, ShareAction is a champion of Responsible Investment. By engaging with key players in the investment system – including pension funds, asset managers, individual investors, NGOs, regulators and policy makers – we work to achieve our vision of a system that truly serves savers, benefits communities and protects our environment for the long term.
In the last decade, the field of responsible investment has exploded, with many of the world’s biggest investors signing up to key principles and committing to take account of environmental and social factors when making decisions. Against this backdrop ShareAction is a pivotal organisation pioneering work to protect the public by combining high-level strategy with practical tactics. The team have earned a well-deserved reputation as one of the most effective organisations changing corporate behavior in the world today.
Examples of what that looks like in action include our successful shareholder activism: our resolution on climate change at Barclays, for example, secured 24% of the votes at their recent Annual General Meeting, showing our increasing influence on even the largest companies. We have built a coalition of investors with £1 trillion assets to support our campaign to ask UK food and drinks companies to produce healthier, more affordable products, limit advertising of sugary products to children, and encourage clear and accurate food labelling. We influentially rank asset managers and asset owners on their performance with regard to responsible investment, governance, biodiversity and human rights. We have also developed the stunning Workforce Disclosure Initiative using the authority of investors with £15 trillion assets to acquire critical data on the ‘S’ of ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) data, filling a huge gap in investor understanding. And while so much has been done, it feels like we are just starting.
Covid-19 has forced us all to make a more mature evaluation of risk and reward in the conduct of our affairs. Now more than ever ShareAction has great opportunity to break new ground and build an architecture for corporate governance fit for the twenty first century, and we are looking for enthusiastic and committed individuals to help us do this by joining our Board of Trustees.
The key priorities of trustees are to support the Chief Executive and staff in realising our exciting new strategy and championing ShareAction externally to increase the profile of the organisation and our work. We are looking for diverse candidates who are passionate about our mission and are particularly keen to hear from individuals with experience as a beneficiary or service user of ShareAction, or of working with policy makers, in charity fundraising and HR.
You will be joining a dedicated team of people who care deeply about the difference we are able to make. You can find more information about ShareAction on our website (https://shareaction.org/) but please also feel free to get in touch with the team if you would like to discuss the role first.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Chair of Trustees
ShareAction is an NGO and campaigning organisation working to unleash the power of the financial system to drive social progress and protect our environment. We focus on transforming the investment system, using it as a lever to generate positive social and environmental impact in the real world.
We want a future where all finance powers social progress and our new strategy – published in September 2019 – includes the following four-part vision for the financial system:
1. Major financial institutions take responsibility for their impacts on people and planet
2. Investors and the companies they invest in operate within safe ecological limits
3. Investors and the companies they invest in sustain fair, just and healthy societies
4. The investment system is diverse and inclusive at all levels
ShareAction uses research, campaigns, policy advocacy and public mobilisation to drive change in
and through the finance system.
We do this by:
- Educating and working with investors to improve their practices;
- Influencing the policy-makers and industry regulators that can ensure the investment
system serves society’s interests in the long-term;
- Campaigning to unlock the power of investors, as shareholders in companies, to change
corporate behaviour (on issues such as climate change, good work and human rights,
sustainable food and public health);
- Mobilising ordinary people, who have a stake in the investment system through their
pensions and savings, to demand a change in how their money is invested;
- Collaborating with other civil society organisations who share our vision.
Role Description & Person Specification
The role is unpaid, but reasonable expenses will be paid by ShareAction if agreed in advance.
- The Board meets at least 4 times a year, the meetings are generally 3 hours long and are currently held between 9am and 5pm Monday – Friday. We are, however, exploring the possibility of moving some meetings into the early evening from 2021. There is also an annual strategy day (often combined with one of the Board meetings). It is possible to attend meetings virtually rather than in person.*
- Attendance at the annual AGM with our members.
- The following Board committees are in place and require additional time commitments, meetings are generally 2 hours long and committees meet 3-4 times are year (also currently held between 9am-5pm):
- Finance, Audit, Risk and Controls committee,
- HR and Governance committee.
- Trustees, where possible, also play an active role outside of Board meetings in relation to matters such as fundraising and organisational development.
- In addition to Board Meetings, other contact – usually electronic or by telephone – will be necessary between Board meetings.
*please note all our meetings are currently held virtually due to Covid-19.
Trustees have ultimate responsibility for the governance of ShareAction, as outlined in the Articles of Association, ensuring it is delivering its charitable objectives, and is financially sound and compliant.
Term of office
Trustees are appointed for a 6-year term as per our Articles.
- Attending regular meetings of the Board and other related duties (as outlined below)
- Contributing to and influence the charity’s strategic direction in line with its charitable objectives
- Ensuring that the organisation complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensuring that the management and administration of the charity is undertaken responsibly
- Ensuring that the organisation uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- Acting in the best interests of the charity while exercising independent judgement
- Safeguarding and protecting the assets (investments, cash, intellectual property, staff and reputation) of the charity, and ensuring the charity’s financial stability
- Contributing actively to the Board of trustees’ collective role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policies, and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Acting as an ambassador for the charity and using networks to promote the charity’s work and, where appropriate, to seek funding
- Scrutinising Board papers;contributing to the work of sub-committees as appropriate
We are looking to recruit trustees who bring the skills, experience and commitment necessary to take the organisation forward. For this round, we are specifically looking for people with skills in HR, Fundraising and Policy and/or experience as a service user or beneficiary of ShareAction.
Each trustee is expected to:
- Work as part of a team, in a culture of learning and change
- Show commitment to the aims and work of ShareAction, and a particular commitment to responsible investment
- Commit time and effort to serve on the Board, and to attend at least 3 out of 4 Board meetings per year
- Be willing to support, directly or indirectly, ShareAction’s fundraising activities
- Demonstrate strategic vision and think creatively
- Be willing to speak their mind and exercise independent judgement
- Understand the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Support managers and staff in the implementation of strategy
- Not be disqualified from being a trustee (through bankruptcy, disqualification as a director, removal as a trustee, non-spent conviction of dishonesty or corruption
- Be able to make the time commitment required to perform the functions of the role
Our commitment to you
New trustees will be given a thorough induction to the work of ShareAction, including:
- An introduction to the work of ShareAction and its finances by the CEO and Leadership Team
- An opportunity to meet with staff to learn more about the organisation’s work
- Opportunity for Trustee training
How to apply
ShareAction are committed to promoting responsible investment throughout all sectors of society, understanding that the investment industry affects everyone. We value and respect all differences in people (seen and unseen) and recognize that diverse Boards perform better. We welcome anyone who shares our enthusiasm for responsible investment – whether they have experience in the investment system or not – and particularly encourage applications from people from ethnic minority backgrounds, people with disabilities and other protected characteristics. We are happy to make reasonable adjustments to enable disabled candidates to show their suitability for any role. We use blind screening when shortlisting.
Please send your CV and supporting statement to firstname.lastname@example.org with Trustee Application in the subject field.
Your supporting statement should highlight your interest in ShareAction and your motivation for joining our Board in general as well as detailing your skills and experience that make you ideally suited to becoming a trustee.
Interviews for shortlisted applicants will be held during the weeks commencing 17 and 24 August 2020.
A bit more about us
ShareAction is a charity which promotes responsible investment by pension funds and other institutional investors. We believe that investment can be a force for good, serving savers and communities, and protecting our environment for the long term. We campaign on specific environmental and social issues that the investment industry has the power to influence, like climate change and workers’ rights. We advocate for policy changes required to enable responsible investment to thrive. We undertake research and rankings to drive up best practice among pension funds and asset managers. And we work with savers to help them push their pension schemes towards more responsible behaviour and sustainable investment practices.