WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
Trustee terms are six years
Deadline: Sunday 14 April 2019 at 11:59pm
Trustee terms are six years
Deadline: Sunday 14 April 2019 at 11:59pm
Letter From Our Chair
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Trustee of ShareAction.
Founded in 2005, ShareAction is a champion of Responsible Investment (RI). By engaging with key players in the investment system – including pension funds, asset managers, individual investors, NGOS, regulators and policy makers – we work to achieve our vision of a system that truly serves savers, benefits communities and protects our environment for the long term.
Since publishing our first survey of UK pension schemes in 2006, ShareAction has both grown – to almost 50 staff in London and Brussels – and diversified in pursuit of our mission to unleash the positive potential of the investment system. Today, our footprint and impact is global and our work focused on three areas: influencing institutional investors, influencing companies by mobilising investor support, and building a broad-based and grassroots movement for RI that demands change while giving a voice to investors and investment sector professionals who support our mission. More information on our many programmes is available on our website at the address below.
In the last decade, the field of responsible investment has exploded, with many of the world’s biggest investors signing up to RI principles and committing to take account of environmental and social factors when making decisions. Whilst this represents real progress, we know that more is needed from investors to, for example, meet the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement or achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. In the coming decade, ShareAction is therefore looking to promote a bolder definition – in law and in practice – of responsible investment, a definition focused on meeting society’s needs whilst protecting the interests of those with assets invested in the capital markets.
We are looking for enthusiastic and committed individuals with relevant expertise and experience to join our Board of Trustees. The key priorities are to support the Chief Executive and staff in realising our exciting strategy and championing ShareAction externally to increase the profile of the organisation and our work. We are looking for diverse candidates who are passionate about our mission and are particularly keen to hear from individuals with senior management experience in international charities, charity finance or the finance industry.
You will be joining a dedicated team of people who care deeply about the difference we are able to make. You can find more information about ShareAction on our website (www.shareaction.org.uk).
I look forward to hearing from you.
Chair of Trustees
Trustees have ultimate responsibility for the governance of ShareAction, as outlined in the Articles of Association, ensuring it is delivering its charitable objectives, and is financially sound and compliant.
Term of office
Trustees are appointed for a 6-year term as per our constitution.
- Attending regular meetings of the board and other related duties (as outlined below)
- Contributing to and influence the charity’s strategic direction in line with its charitable objectives
- Ensuring that the organisation complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensuring that the management and administration of the charity is undertaken responsibly
- Ensuring that the organisation uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- Acting in the best interests of the charity while exercising independent judgement
- Safeguarding and protecting the assets (investments, cash, intellectual property, staff and reputation) of the charity, and ensuring the charity’s financial stability
- Contributing actively to the board of trustees’ collective role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policies, and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Acting as an ambassador for the charity and using networks to promote the charity’s work and, where appropriate, to seek funding
- Scrutinising board papers;contributing to the work of sub-committees as appropriate
We are looking to recruit trustees who bring the skills, experience and commitment necessary to take the organisation forward. Each trustee is expected to:
- Work as part of a team, in a culture of learning and change
- Show commitment to the aims and work of ShareAction, and a particular commitment to Responsible Investment
- Commit time and effort to serve on the Board, and to attend at least 3 out of 4 Board meetings per year
- Be willing to support, directly or indirectly, ShareAction’s fundraising activities
- Demonstrate strategic vision and think creatively
- Be willing to speak their mind and exercise independent judgment
- Understand the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Support managers and staff in the implementation of strategy
- Not be disqualified from being a trustee (through bankruptcy, disqualification as a director, removal as a trustee, non-spent conviction of dishonesty or corruption
- Be able to make the time commitment required to perform the functions of the role
- The Board meets at least 4 times a year (during the working day); there is also an annual strategy day (often combined with one of the Board meetings).
- The following Board subcommittees are in place and require additional time commitments (also held during the working day):
- Finance, Audit and Risk subcommittee,
- Governance and HR subcommittee,
- Trustees, where possible, also play an active role outside of board meetings in relation to matters such as fundraising and organisational development
- In addition to Board Meetings, other contact – usually electronic or by telephone – will be necessary between board meetings.
Our Commitment To You
The role is unpaid, but reasonable expenses relating to travel for Board and other meetings will be paid for by ShareAction.
New trustees will be given a thorough induction to the work of ShareAction, including:
- An introduction to the work of ShareAction and its finances by the CEO and Leadership Team
- An opportunity to meet with staff to learn more about the organisation’s work
How to apply
Please send your CV and supporting statement to firstname.lastname@example.org with Trustee Application in the subject field. Your supporting statement should highlight your interest in ShareAction and your motivation for joining our Board in general as well as detailing your skills and experience that make you ideally suited to becoming a trustee.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
ShareAction is committed to promoting responsible investment throughout all sectors of society, understanding that the investment industry affects everyone. We welcome anyone who shares our enthusiasm for responsible investment – whether they have experience in the investment system or not. We particularly encourage applications from women, people from ethnic minority backgrounds, people with disabilities and other protected characteristics in underrepresented areas of work. We are happy to make reasonable adjustments to enable disabled candidates to show their suitability for any role.
A bit more about us
ShareAction is a charity which promotes responsible investment by pension funds and other institutional investors. We believe that investment can be a force for good, serving savers and communities, and protecting our environment for the long term. We campaign on specific environmental and social issues that the investment industry has the power to influence, like climate change and workers’ rights. We advocate for policy changes required to enable responsible investment to thrive. We undertake research and rankings to drive up best practice among pension funds and asset managers. And we work with savers to help them push their pension schemes towards more responsible behaviour and sustainable investment practices.