Hours: Fulltime: 35 hours per week
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: £50,700 – £55,200 + 8% pension contribution
Deadline: Thursday 19 July at 9am
Interview Date: We may interview as applications are received and in the week commencing 16 July
Starting: September 2018
ShareAction’s current Head of Policy is moving to a new role within the team and we have space for an experienced, highly motivated individual to take over leading our public policy work. Policy influencing is a key part of ShareAction’s theory of change as we seek to build a responsible investment system.
ShareAction’s standard contract is a 35-hour week with core hours of 10am to 4pm. We see this as a full-time position although we are open to flexibility in how these hours are delivered. This role will include frequent travel to Brussels.
Policy influencing has been an area of strength for ShareAction and we are at the centre of exciting developments in both UK and EU policy on sustainable/responsible finance. The post-holder will consolidate and build on this success, influencing UK and EU policy as it relates to sustainable/responsible investment. In this role, you will be seeking to shape the UK and EU policy agenda, reacting to political developments and opportunities, building relationships with policymakers, regulators and other influencers and representing ShareAction’s policy work publicly.
The jobholder will be expected to be hands on, supporting and developing a small team as well as taking the lead for significant pieces of work themselves. The role includes a significant level of planning and strategy for taking ShareAction’s policy work further. The role will also include oversight of ShareAction’s wider European Responsible Investment Network (ERIN) team.
- Developing ShareAction’s strategy for UK and EU policy influencing and overseeing development of our policy positions on particular issues.
- Leading the development of an annual work-plan to advance ShareAction’s policy aims including delivering a programme of policy-focused research. Taking an active role in the delivery of this work.
- Overseeing the team’s day-to-day policy work and stakeholder management in the UK and EU policy space, including advocacy and outreach to policymakers, parliamentarians and financial regulators in the UK and EU. This will include ensuring we identify and respond to key opportunities for influence, produce high quality written documents. You will also represent ShareAction in meetings in the UK and in Brussels.
- Maintaining knowledge of developments in the global responsible investment field and in public policy as it relates to responsible investment.
- Overseeing ShareAction’s European Responsible Investment Network (a network of civil society from across Europe with an interest in responsible investment). Ensuring that the Network is maximising its influence in terms of campaigning and advocating for policy change at a European level.
- Working with colleagues to communicate our policy work through a variety of media and ensuring that all written output is of a high quality.
- Representing ShareAction in public and in broadcast media.
- Working with the fundraising team to fundraise for ShareAction’s UK and EU policy work.
- Leading, coaching and developing a small team undertaking policy advocacy, network outreach and research for ShareAction.
- Playing a full role in the overall leadership and management of ShareAction. The post holder will be a member of ShareAction’s senior management team.
- A demonstrable track record of successfully influencing politicians and policymakers at a UK or EU level.
- Sound understanding of the policymaking and influencing process in both the UK and EU.
- Sound political judgement, i.e. ability to spot opportunities as they arise, to tailor arguments to different audiences, and develop measured tactics to influence debate and decisions. Ability to synthesise a complex policy context and distil it into actionable plans.
- Keen attention to detail and ability to analyse complex issues and communicate these in a clear and accessible way.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and competing priorities.
- Experience of delivering or overseeing high quality qualitative and/or quantitative research projects.
- People management and leadership experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Proven fundraising experience.
- Able to travel to Brussels frequently – on average 4 days per month.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with experience of public speaking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work as part of a team and to build good relationships with external stakeholders.
- A good understanding of the finance and investment sector.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to the aims and values of ShareAction
- Experience of working in policy influencing in a civil society context.
- Experience of working directly with or within the European Commission, European Parliament and Council of the European Union.
- Legal training or work experience and/or experience of working in the financial/investment sector.
- Understanding of all or any of: responsible/sustainable finance; pensions regulation; financial services law; and corporate governance.
- Knowledge of other European languages, particularly French or German.
A few more details
- Hours of work: 35 hrs per week with an expectation of some out of hours working
- Holidays: 25 days per annum plus working days between Christmas and New Year, plus statutory bank holidays
How to apply
Please send us an up to date CV and cover letter that includes a personal statement (the personal statement in your cover letter should be no more than 300 words or one side of A4). Please describe why you would be perfect for this job. Make sure your application clearly explains your interests and the skills you would bring to the role. Please note that we are unable to progress applications that do not include all of the asked-for information.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Don’t be afraid to show your enthusiasm! Please send your personal statement and CV to Amy.Webster@shareaction.org by Thursday 19 July 2018 at 9am.
To be considered for this post you must be legally eligible to work in the UK, due to the size of the organisation we are unfortunately unable to sponsor anyone for a visa.
ShareAction is committed to promoting responsible investment throughout all sectors of society, understanding that the investment industry affects everyone. We welcome anyone who shares our enthusiasm for responsible investment – whether they have experience in the investment system or not. We particularly encourage applications from women, people from ethnic minority backgrounds, people with disabilities and other protected characteristics in underrepresented areas of work. We are happy to make reasonable adjustments to enable disabled candidates to show their suitability for any role.